The biggest consumer tech innovations we’ve seen in the last few decades were not won by -
- The cost leader
- The one with the best-quality products
- or the ones with the most comprehensive features
It’s the companies where their services were the most convenient to use.
- Netflix won against Blockbuster because it was so much easier to search for and order movies online. No long drive to the store and endlessly walking around looking for something to watch.
- Uber/Lyft wins against taxis because it is so much easier to use them as opposed to awkwardly having to find or chase a taxi down in an unfamiliar city.
- Amazon wins against brick-and-mortar retailers because it is so much easier to shop and order online. No need to waste time driving store-to-store to find what you need.
If you’re going to differentiate on something, differentiate on customer experience.
Make your services so simple and easy to use that your competitor’s products just feel painful to use by comparison.
People are naturally lazy.
Capitalize on it.